Friday, April 28, 2006

reviews from a gun

I've been listening to lots of music this week, so you get a second helping of reviews to digest on this overcast friday:

television personalities - My Dark Places: Oft referenced as wildly influential by the likes of nirvana and the J&M chain, this sporatic project of dan treacy returns with it's 8th (or 9th, or maybe 10th?) studio album album since 1977. And as is the fate with most bands that influenced bands you went on to enjoy, they just can't live up to your expectations. All you really get to do is say, "Oh yeah I can totally see how so-and-so was influenced by these guys here and maybe over here." Empty fullfilment at best, although the 'she can stop traffic' song is kind of pleasing.

tool - 10,000 Days: I knew a lot of people who got into tool a few years back because trey anastasio mentioned how he listened to their last album at full blast while driving around vermont in his audi. I was introduced to tool while digging through a crate of cd's with ryan years back that didn't make the cut to be played on college radio (ouch, they'll play anything!). Tool's debut EP was amongst this pile of discs that soon became silvery slivered remains of their formerly round self as we projected them at each other during a cd war in the halls of our dorm. Tool made the "to-be-hurled" cut due in large part to the pictures of necrophelia adorning the inner sleeve artwork. I never felt much remorse for judging that book by its cover, as tool have never since made any sort of lasting impression on me.

tv on the radio - Return to Cookie Mountain: On the flip-side we have a band that has peaked my interest as of late. Initially turned on by the Young Liars EP, mainly for the track, 'staring at the sun', which subsequently wound up on their debut full length, but also for their unique cover of 'mr. grieves'. Said debut full length was a little too industrial doo wop for my liking, but I gave them another chance, and I'm glad I did. The album title may or may not be a nod to Super Mario World, but fortunately it's frivolity has little to do with the almost dark musical leanings and strangely gruffy yet shrill vocals of the songs contained within. I had been listening to an unfinished advance of this for a while, but the final copy has proved a much better listen and has received far more spins.

wizardzz - Hidden City of Taurmond: Someone sure is excited they got a new keyboard, so much so that they forgot to invite some other musicians over to help in the creative process of making an album.

cocteau twins - Lullabies to Violaine: All you die-hard fans will likely have most of this material, as it is a collection of the bands EP's, singles and b-sides spanning their 1982-1996 recording career. As the title suggests it's bookended by the first EP, Lullabies, and their last single, Violaine. Being somewhat of a casual fan myself, I own only three of the releases that make up this 4 cd set, so this is a great collection of things I probably would have never hunted down, but enjoy listening to regardless.

mecca normal - The Observer: Lo-fi feminism courtesy of whats-her-face and her guy partner doing what they unfortuantely have decided to keep on doing after all these years. A much easier swallow than their quasi-punk efforts, I even like that one track, 'his own madness', but it is probably just be because KVCU has been caning it as their 'cd of the month' and I've grown desensitzed to it. I highly doubt I would ever concsiously choose to listen to this.

pearl jam - s/t: Everytime these guys release a disc, I'm a little surprised to learn they are still around. I mean who the heck is listening to these guys that they need another album? Ten was a strong release, but it definitely had its place in a time which has long since passed. Self-titled and something like their 7th or 9th studio effort, what I'm upset with the most here is the lack of a proper album title. Didn't they already release an eponymous disc? Please just call it something, steal a lryic from a song for pete's sake. If you're not going to bother naming it, I'm not going bother listening to it. Jeez. They're still pretty rockin live though - you can check 'em playing some of the new material on letterman.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home