Tuesday, September 13, 2005

tunes for tuesday

wolf parade - Apologies to the Queen Mary: Much hyped debut from the British Columbia band which Isaac Brock recently got signed to Sup Pop and twiddled production knobs for on this release. Not surprisingly, it has some of those beautifully cynical tendencies of Modest Mouse. Take this and combine it with a bit of the Archers of Loaf's brash choppiness & some of the shrill longing of the Arcade Fire's vocals, the resulting audio makes for great listening if you're feeling mildly despondent or vaguely apathetic.

sareena maneesh - s/t: My Bloody Valentine falls in love with Sonic Youth at a Dinosaur Jr. concert. I think they're from sweden, but from what I can make out, they sing mostly in english.

boozo bajou - Dust My Broom: Assorted down-tempo-y fair with various vocal stylings peppered throughout - a smidgen of r&b flavah, a dash of ragga, and even a little bit country. An inveritable backroom bouillabaisse if you will.

franz ferdinand - You Could Do So Much Better With: I'm still not sure if I actually like these guys, or I'm just going along with some big cosmic joke. There were surely some great tracks on the first disc, but tough to listen to as a whole mind you. I've only given this one spin so far, and although it doesn't instantly grab me, it may grow on me. A lot of my issues with these guys should hopefully be resolved after catching them live at the end of the month.

-double pickels on the lime-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home