Tuesday, May 31, 2005

triple threat

The weekend started with one of two sold out built to spill shows at the fox friday night. We got there early to set up the rig, which wasn't really an issue because no one else showed with a pole. It did afford us lots of beer time during the opening acts. B2S has always had an inscestuous group of opening bands on the road with them on any given tour. This time around it was Mike Johnson & the Evildoers (with Bret Netson from Caustic Resin on guitar & Jim Roth on bass). The B2S lineup was Doug Martsch, Bret Netson, and Jim Roth on the triple guitar mayhem, Brett Nelson on bass, and Scott Plouf drumming. You got all that?

friday set:
velvet waltz
strange
the plan
when not being stupid is not enough
distopian dream girl
built to spill
you were right
going against your mind
don't try
virginia reel around the fountain (halo benders)
alien fugue (caustic resin)
big dipper
sidewalk
I would hurt a fly
carry the zero
stop the show


The show was out of hand good - the triple guitar fed madness was really exceptional. All the opening band beers caught up with us eventually, as robert disappeared about half way through the B2S set and headed back to wimbeldon and wound up partying with my downstairs neighbors, and I foolishly forgot to roll the volume back up for the last song after a tape change.

I had entered the weekend with a bit of a head cold, and it started taking hold as something a little heavier on saturday. Too bad for the cold, I had a full day planned starting with a roof top rendezvous at the foundry. The next stop was nathan & michelle's bbq, where I eventually parted ways while they hit pearl street and I returned to the fox for night two of B2S. I was pretty sick the whole show, leaving to go accross the street to the convenience market for some aspirin & tums. Another great performance, but they played mostly the same songs as the night before. I had been hoping to hear some newer material they debuted earlier in the year, but as it turns out they hadn't deviated too much from these core tracks on this outing. What can you do?

saturday set:
In Your Mind
Distopian Dream Girl
I Would Hurt a Fly
Strange
Goin' Against Your Mind
The Plan
When Not Being Stupid Is Not Enough
Sidewalk
Alien Fugue
One Thing
Stab
Virginia Reel Around the Fountain
Carry the Zero
Stop the Show

The tapes from both nights turned out great, and I will likely host them on CO Tapers when I get around to it.

The weather took a turn for the worse on sunday, which moved the bbq at jacq & dyl's inside. We also ran out of gas for the big grill, but we enjoyed some fine smoked meats hibachi style. At some point during saturday's Q, jacq & I agreed to go to the Erasure show at the Paramount with peter & theresa. We successfully rallied by evening and as luck would have it, Rich was kind enough to drive the lot of us to and from the show in Denver. I was actually curious to see them after learning they sold out 10 nights(!) in a row at Irving Plaza a few weeks earlier, and was indeed pleasantly surprised by the performance. The stage was all done up like an enchanted forest, and the lead singer and two female backup singers were decked out as winged beings. The progammer/sequencer guy was similarly themed in a sequin suit. I didn't keep track of the setlist as I'm not up on too many of their song titles, but I was rather surprised that I recognized a bunch of the songs they played.

Monday = sleeeeep style.

-exhausted, neph-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home